GNO Inc. Named Economic Development Organization of the Year
NEW ORLEANS – From Greater New Orleans Inc.:
On September 20, the International Economic Development Board selected Greater New Orleans Inc. as Economic Development Organization of the Year, with a “Gold” designation for communities with populations over 500,000. This global award was distributed at the organization’s 2022 annual conference in Oklahoma City and is the highest organizational honor bestowed at the IEDC Economic Development Excellence Awards.
“Being Economic Development Organization of the Year is a testament to the dedication and hard work of many people,” said Michael Hecht, President and CEO of GNO Inc. he administration, the NextGen Council, investors, economic development partners, educational partners, elected leaders and the community all share the responsibility and credit for this recognition. »
IEDC’s Excellence in Economic Development Awards recognize the world’s best economic development programs and partnerships, marketing materials and the most influential leaders of the year. The “Gold” ranking for ODE of the Year 2022 is awarded to the leading economic development organization demonstrating goals and objectives, innovation and continuity of programs, quality and consistency of leadership, criteria for performance and measures measured, and community interaction and impact.
“The GNO Inc. team and all of the organization’s partners and stakeholders should be extremely proud of this remarkable honor of being named the best EDO in the world,” said Richard Cortizas, Chairman of the Board of Directors of GNO Inc. “This award recognizes the hard work GNO Inc. is doing to transform and grow the region’s economy. Collectively, we all benefit from the new business opportunities and new jobs created by their leadership in our region.
In selecting GNO Inc. for this honor, the IEDC judges had the opportunity to learn more about the many accomplishments the organization has made over the past year, including:
- Completion of 12 expansion and relocation projects totaling 1,044 direct jobs and $664 million in investment
- Won the Federal EDA’s Build Back Better Regional Challenge for H2theFuture, a Strategy to Decarbonize Louisiana’s Industrial Corridor – One of Only 4% of National Winners
- Launch of the NOLA Coalition, to help improve public safety and invest in youth, which now has over 400 members
- Historic tax reform legislation passed, dropping Louisiana from 25th to 4th lowest income tax rate
- Launch of the HBCU Startup Internship initiative, a paid program to introduce BIPOC students to entrepreneurship
- Creation of the GNOwind Alliance, with more than 150 members, to develop the offshore wind cluster in Louisiana
- Worked with Microsoft to create Game Camp, an intensive five-month program for Louisiana residents to learn programming
- Saw $2.5 billion in exits from companies GNO, Inc. helped develop, including Lucid ($1.1 billion) and Levelset ($500 million), and developed StartupNOLA.com promote entrepreneurship
- Relaunched the Coalition for Sustainable Flood Insurance, a national flood insurance reform organization for Louisiana and the country
- After Hurricane Ida, served as the main source of information for the business community and launched GNO Power Match to help businesses find generators
- Launch of StudyNOLA, a website to showcase the region’s higher education community
- Selected by the state as a Region 1 STEM center to promote STEM workforce development and industry engagement with education
“I see firsthand the incredible work that staff, volunteers and investors have put into GNO Inc’s programs to move our region forward,” said Josie Delaune, President of GNO Inc. NextGen Council. “It’s energizing to see this work recognized in such a prestigious way, and I’m confident the energy will lead to many more impressive achievements.”
Louisiana Economic Development also received the “Best in Show” award from the International Council for Economic Development. This award is the highest honor bestowed at the event and is given to ODE that has demonstrated overall excellence in all areas of economic development.