Trump Organization accused email migration of not producing documents: NY AG
- The Trump Organization failed to produce a senior executive’s email records for more than a year, according to the New York AG office.
- The delay meant chief compliance lawyer Jill Martin had to be questioned twice.
- The company blamed it on “email migrations,” according to the AG’s office.
The Trump Organization says that for more than a year an email snafus prevented it from delivering documents to New York Attorney General Tish James of its executive in charge of conflict of interest rules. , according to court documents.
For years, James’s office investigated whether the Trump Organization had manipulated property values to pay little tax while enjoying favorable loan and insurance rates.
The delay meant chief compliance attorney Jill Martin had to sit down for a second interview with the AG’s office, according to a letter sent to the Trump Organization in April 2021 and made public in documents. court on Wednesday.
“We have reviewed the 18 documents you produced on Friday evening, and they fall far short of meeting the Trump Organization’s production obligations regarding Ms. Martin,” Assistant Attorney General Colleen Faherty wrote in the April 19, 2021 letter to a company. attorney. “As we have told you, we believe it is a waste of resources to continue his testimony at this time because the Trump Organization has failed to produce a full or even reasonable production of his documents.”
The Trump Organization said 2019 ’email migrations’ prevented the location of Martin’s email attachments related to a Los Angeles golf club review, a second letter says filed in court.
The letters were included as exhibits in a set of court documents where James asked a judge to force Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump to sit for depositions and answer questions about the finances of the court. Trump organization.
James’ office had already taken depositions from Eric Trump and CFO Allen Weisselberg, who both ran the company during Donald Trump’s presidency, when he issued subpoenas in December to other members of the Trump family.
Earlier in January, members of the Trump family asked a judge to quash the subpoenas and Donald Trump filed a federal lawsuit seeking to end James’ investigation. Representatives for the Trump Organization denied wrongdoing and said the investigation was politically motivated.
New documents filed by James’ office claim that documents and testimony obtained by the office show that there is ample evidence that the Trump Organization lied about the value of its properties.
For example, James’ office said Trump’s personal triplex in Manhattan’s Trump Tower was valued at $127 million and $327 million in different financial documents describing the apartment as 30,000 square feet. The apartment is actually 10,996 square feet, according to documents obtained by James’ office.
The exhibits detail how slowly the Trump Organization has responded to requests for documents over time. The company was first subpoenaed in December 2019; By the time Martin sat down for his first interview with the attorney general’s office on April 20, 2021, James’ office said the firm had still not conducted a thorough search of its own internal files.
Seven days after that interview, James’ office notified the Trump Organization that its investigation had become criminal in nature, although that decision was not made public until nearly a month later. The investigation ran in parallel with a similar investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, which brought criminal charges against the Trump Organization and Weisselberg in July 2021.
In a follow-up letter, dated July 27, 2021, Faherty wrote that the company had still not adequately explained why “migration issues” from nearly two years earlier prevented it from producing “hundreds relevant and responsive emails” from Martin.
It’s unclear if the Trump Organization turned over more emails from Martin ahead of a second interview. But in another follow-up letter, dated Nov. 1, 2021, Faherty did not include Martin on a list of employees whose records the office still wanted.
Martin did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.